Sunday, January 4, 2009

365 Days, 365 Movies, or My New Year's Resolution

New Year…New Year’s Resolutions, right?

A load of bullocks? Sure they are.

So – why? Why don’t we stick with them?

Lack of motivation? Lack of follow-through? Lack of accountability?

Maybe it’s because these new rules for our life, The Resolutions, are just no damn fun. Lose weight. Save money. Self-actualize. BO-RING!

Well, I’m breaking with tradition. I asked myself: what are some things I like to do? Why not do those things more instead of suffering in the name of Better Personhood? The list was long – far too long to discuss here – but a few things were obviously bad choices. Snacking on a half dozen cake doughnuts, downing a couple bottles of Willamette Valley pinot noir, sleeping in ‘til 10 – unfortunately, all probably incompatible on a daily basis with other, ongoing goals: avoiding diabetes, alcoholism and bedsores.

In the end, it came down to a fine balancing act between self-indulgence and self-preservation…bringing me squarely to my Netflix queue.

Over the past two years, it has grown to gargantuan proportions. I love movies. I’m writing them after all, have spent my entire life geeking out on old ones, and I compulsively add new ones – and new old ones – to my queue. The same goes for TV – actual plotted TV, that is. And so I suppose I shouldn’t be shocked that I have well over 300 awaiting my perusal. Three hundred and twenty-two to be exact. Today anyway. Tomorrow there will likely be more.

What’s a girl to do? Watch them! 365 days, 365 movies – with a little TV for color here and there. You, dear readers, are my accountability. One day, one blog review. Mini-review anyway. One year, one empty queue! Of course, I don’t quite have 365 in the queue…so I’m welcoming suggestions! And feedback every once in a while would be hunky-dory. A little reassurance that someone, somewhere, acknowledges my insanity.

Sweet! Let’s watch us some movies!!!

4 comments:

hikr3 said...

I can't wait to go through your backlog with you. Sounds like fun. I wish I could get through my backlog of books in a similar speed!

Melanie Hooks said...

Fantastic! It's so nice to know I won't be alone...

Shutterbug said...

look forward to reading your reviews, don't forget bugsy malone the musical - thats my recommendation.

Anonymous said...

This should be interesting

simon