Sunday, January 4, 2009

Day 2: "Jumper" - Sci Fi Quickie

Film 2: “Jumper”

Problem: A geeky boy finds freedom from derision and loneliness in his newfound power: jumping telepathically from spot to spot. Over the next few years, he (Hayden Christensen) finds a little money, globe-trots with beautiful strangers, and then POW! Big bad Samuel L. Jackson shows up and tries to off him. Seems he’s got a big theological problem with folks that have god-like powers. Sort of a bummer, huh?

Solution: Fight back of course, while courting your childhood true love (Rachel Bilson).

Result: Okay, so you’ve heard it. But I have to say it was better than I thought, shorter than I’d expected, and the big bonus: seeing Hayden Christensen’s face move! I’d seen it happen before he became Anakin Skywalker – or his stone-faced stand-in – when he starred opposite Kevin Kline in the excellent “Life as a House” (2001). Good news – it still works, and his co-jumper Jamie Bell adds a little liveliness. I do wish Diane Lane, who shows up for only the briefest of moments, had stuck around longer. But it’s a quick, action-y type…no frills, but not bad.

4 comments:

hikr3 said...

I only wish this movie had lived up to the wonderful book. As often happens with sci fi, too many elements were changed or dropped for whatever reason and the result is a watered down version lacking the punch of the novel (see "The Postman" for example). I did love "Life as a house" though.

Anonymous said...

Anakin was surprisingly good in Shattered Glass. Who knew the kid could act?

Melanie Hooks said...

I know this screenplay went through a dozen different versions, and that Simon Kinberg, the final writer given credit came along very late in the process (during filming, I believe). I def got the feeling that a lot had been cut; for instance, Tom Hulce gets a screen credit but doesn't appear anywhere...lots cut out, I think, prob because it was too muddy and unclear as shot...

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this film the first time I saw it in the theater. Didn't think it was great, but enjoyable. However, I just tried to watch it again on cable and it just didn't keep my attention for a second viewing. It seemed too long the second time around.